Thursday, March 4, 2010

Io Sono Nicky Hilton e sono en Milano

My midterms are over!! So now I have time to catch up on my latest trip... to MILANO!! As usual no planning other than our flight and hotel happened before hand as usual...things worked out perfectly! Right before we left I checked out a book from our library a Forbes the top 25 places in Milan and that book was a life savor. It told us all the do's and don'ts and we pretty much followed those and found a couple other cool spots that some locals suggested. We left EARLY Friday morning caught 2 trains to the airport and took our hour flight. Security within Italy is scarily relaxed- didn't take my shoes off, brought on liquids... so different from LAX.

We got to our hostel checked in, got diva'd out, did I mention we went during fashion week!? I wish I had time and money to prepare my wardrobe for this weekend but I did the best I could. Our hotel was really nice, we had a balcony over the street and it was close to the metro and Via Buenos Aires which is known for good shopping. Our first stop was the Duomo which was incredible...I think it is more impressive than the Vatican. We hung out in the Piazza, people watched a little bit, went inside the church, and then walked the 25o steep stairs to the top of the church. We window shopped in the Victor Emmanuel Arch indoor shopping center, explored the surrounding area, then went to a suggested restaurant for appertivo. I am obsessed with appertivo such a good deal, 10 euro's for a drink and all you an eat appetizers. The place we went was super chic and glamorous and we had our own VIP section....duh.
(The Milano Duomo)
(View from the Duomo roof)

(Milano skyline)
(Gabby and I at the V.E. Arch)
The entire weekend we all took on celebrity alter-ego's I was Nicky Hilton, and my crew consisted of Wynonna Rider, Keanue Reeves, Katy Perry, and Kristen Stewart. So even though we were all on tight budgets we just walked around knowing we were fabulous and pretended we were loaded, we even convinced someone that I really was Nicky haha so cruel but so fun! Anyway... Saturday we found a street market / swap meet type place where I scored some good deals and added a few lovely pieces to my wardrobe. After we went to THE design museum which had a lot of cool funky pieces we walked to a carnival and a castle near by then headed back towards the hotel for some more shopping.
(Bridget and I at the castle)
Sunday we went to THE shopping street Quaderno de Oro with all the big designers and we stopped in Armani and tried their amazing chocolate!! I window shopped awhile but no big purchases were made (don't worry mom). After we went to Santa Marie delle Grazie where the original Last Super is. Apparently we needed a reservation two weeks in advance but I don't take no for an answer. So I asked the sweet old man working, do you really not have anymore tickets because we leave tomorrow morning (all with a sad pouty face) in the best italian I could. He told us to hold on, made a phone call, and we got a reservation!! The painting was not what I expected, it was huge and painted on the wall inside of the church. After we went to another chic restaurant Le Biciclete for appertivo, which was the best appertivo I have ever had and then we had gelato which was also the best I had ever had!
(Santa Maria delle Grazie)

Milan is a very different from Roma. It is more modern and industrial and there is a lot less history and historical sites. They do however have the best public transportation. All the Milanese people we meet were so nice and helpful, honestly I think people here just appreciate when you attempt to speak Italian. Other than being fabulous and going to fabulous places we got into site-seeing and kind of forgot about the fashion week scene. It was more that we just wanted to say we had been to Milan for fashion week haha. All in all a successful, super fun, and amazing trip, except for the 3AM wake up call to catch our flight back. Ciao for a week because I will be on spring break in Tunisia!
(Katy, Nicky, and Keanue)

No comments:

Post a Comment