Wednesday, January 20, 2010

lo sono qui

(Spanish Steps)
I am here!! I have actually been in Italy for a week now. It is crazy how much has happened so far. It took me awhile to unpack, figure out the internet and what not. Today was my first day of class Ionly had one, for an hour, my Italiano II class. Tonight after an important group meeting a few of us are going downtown to buy cellphones. I have a love hate relationship with not having a cell phone for a week. Trying to met up with people and plan stuff has been annoying but also this week I have had very little sense of time so I can relax.

Italy is absolutley beautiful! I mean everyone knows that but you dont really know until you are here. For our school's orientation we went to Assisi which is about 3 hours from Roma and is where St. Francis of Assisi was born, prayed, and died. The town is medival and built on a mountain that is surrounded by a huge wall and a castle. The town is also a huge pilgrimage site and heavily influenced by the works of St. Francis. I went on a two hour tour and a three hour hike of the town so I am now an expert on St. Fracis and the city, if anyone is interested!

(this is the main church in Assisi, the day we went it was bring your animal to church day so they could get blessed- soo cute!)
Overall all the students and staff are super friendly. Today in my class I was the only one from another school other than Loyola Chicago and I have not met any non-USF students from California. So I am a little odd ball but of course I love it. The experience feels very similliar to my first semester at USF, hanging out with diffrent people experimenting with who you will really be hanging out with and just being in a completley new place. The only thing that is bugging me is not having a set schedule, once all my classes start and I have a routine I think my life will feel more normal.

I have been downtown and in the heart of Roma, twice. Both times I went to the Spanish steps and I walked around the shopping area and stopped in a couple bars. This weekend I am for sure going to explore the Vatican and meet up with Katarina!!

Ciao, enjoy the pics!
(this is me next to the Castle in Assisi looking over the town)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That church looks EXACTLY like your dome at USF! Gorgeous view of the town, one of my fav pics so far.

    ReplyDelete