Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Venezia per Carnivale!



Ciao a tutti! Wow so I have finally recovered from a crazy beautiful weekend in Venice. All in all my first trip outside of Roma was extremely successful. We rolled out with about 10-15 students (sometimes we lost a few drunk members) we took a night train Friday night which took 7 hours and got us there at 6AM! Our hostel was only a 5 minute walk from the train station and we were able to check in right away and crash for a little nap. We got 2 rooms but only one was ready so we crammed in there to nap, me and 2 others shared a twin, good times! Regardless the hostel was nice, safe, and didnt care that we had more people than beds haha.

From the hostel it was about 20-30 minute bus ride to the main island of Venice. Once we got there everybody was buying masks, I had already bought this riduculous headdress because I didnt want to cover my face haha I mean what for?? Venice..... I don't even know where to begin, has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. We walked around the little streets, over little bridges, and into little stores and restaurants. We finally made our way to St. Mark's square which was FILLED with people and a big stage for all the carnivale activities.

(me, in my head dress along the Rinalto bridge)
People dress in more than masks but like completely decked OUT in old school Renissance outfits, wigs, men in tights, the whole shabam! And then there were some people not dressed so much haha which was cool too. A few of us joined a parade with some brazilians which was wild and soo fun! We got lost alot, which is typical for us, but it really didnt matter because wherever you went lead you somewhere beautiful! For example, we got lost in a really dark plaza and found a pretty door so i tried to open it and it lead us right next to the Rinalto bridge!
(two couples decked out in Renassance gear)
At night there was a huge outdoor discoteca and dj but it didnt last as long as we wanted it too...which was probably a good thing since we were all exhausted. We made it back to the hostel then wokeup the next day and headed back to the main island. We had a more organized sightseeing day we went to the Jewish Ghetto, the beautiful Basillica, and covered all 4ish islands. BUT the BEST part was our gondola ride. Sunday was beautiful and sunny and our gondola went along the Rinalto bridge and around the Gran Canal... I had one of my sappy I love my life kinda moments, it was great!
(Louisa and I relaxing on the gondola)
The city is very small and do-able in 2 days so by the time we had to catch our other night train at 11:30pm we were ready to go. There was some drama on the train regarding out seats on the way there AND on the way back but I am not gonna waste time on that. We all made it back to Roma at 7am and I made it right on time to freshen up and start a full day of class and tutoring at 9:30am! haha. All in all a fabulous weekend and first (self-planned) trip outside of Roma.

No comments:

Post a Comment